Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Old lady

I went out for a walk last night.
I saw a shadow far away.
It was an old lady sitting alone on a bench.
She was staring at the unknown, surrounded by the fog.
A time-travelling creature that stopped for a minute to have a rest.
She was absorbed by a memory from the past or a scene from the future.
She seemed enchanted by her vague vision.
She was so unique and classy.
An aristocratic, fragile and sensitive figure.
Her shape so gentle, delicate and potent.
Her glance so strong and deep.
Her posture so imperious and confident.
She had the security of her old age.
The calm of the knowledge that no fear can destroy her peace.
The certaintly that nothing and no one can disturb her calmness.
Like she had lived the worst and she had nothing to expect but the best.
Her wisdom was depicted in her wrinkled face.
I was attracted by her mystical serenity.
She saw me staring at her from distance.
She invited me silently to join her loneliness.
It was like she knew me forever.
She looked at me and I was impressed by her gentle face.
I suddenly felt humble and respect for the unknown story she was hiding.
I could see that she had lived a life full of passion and experiences.
I felt like I wanted to steal something from her elegance.
She closed her eyes to feel the wind and then she took a deep breath smiling. 
I looked at her amazed by her quite presence.
She was trembling trying to say something.
She knew I was now sitting next to her.
She made a slow move to touch my hand.
I felt her old soft skinny hand on mine. 
Suddenly a wave of heat crossed my body.
All feelings, scenes, memories of the past year were right in front of me. 
A strong stimulus stung my heart and soul and then disappeared.
I felt an instant horror but then calm and peaceful.
The old lady opened her eyes and looked at me.
I know you think I’m old, she said, but I am not.
Look at me.
I am as young as an unborn baby.
I am the new year.
It is all that you have learned this year that make me old.
And you have learned a lot.
This year taught you more that you imagine.
Use the wisdom of the past to make your future bright.
But remember.
Wise people forgive.
Intelligent people remember.
People like you love with passion.
You have this blessing. 
Never lose it. 
She stood up gently and kissed my head affectionately.
I saw her walking slowly till she disappeared in the dark.
I was thinking of her words all night.
Next day something urged me to go back to the same place.
A little girl was sitting on the bench looking at me.
She had the same bright and beautiful eyes with the old lady.
Happy New Year, she wished smiling at me cordially.
I smiled back, staring at her as she was running away.
She followed exactly the opposite direction of the old lady last night.
I knew these two were related in a way, but will never meet. 
I captured the two figures in my mind.
I felt blessed I met them both.
I embraced their words and wishes.
I felt confident I was on the right way.  
...
And it's been some time since then. 
And I keep returning to the same place again and again.
I never saw them again.
But I can always feel their presence.
I am sure I will meet them again in a year.


Years come and leave.
The old die and are reborn.
The new replace the missing.
Some walk slowly, others run.
And nothing stays the same. 

When time counts numbers, 
life grows old and becomes wiser.
She touches you with her skinny hands to give advices sometimes. 
But always remains a carefree little girl in heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment